Every tournament week is a blank canvas awaiting the artists’ color to create a new masterpiece. Which players will leave their indelible marks in tourney lore?
As we await with unabated anticipation another tournament week, we all wonder what will be in store as we make our annual pilgrimages. As we prepare for tourney 2016, here are ten questions that should be answered by weeks end:
1. How many times will we slip up and refer to the newly named Northern Maine Tournament as the Eastern Maine Tournament?
2. How will the Northern AA tournament draw in Augusta? Will those who follow the Portland area schools make that “long” one hour trek north?
3. How many prayers will be uttered up by tournament officials pleading for good weather?
4. How will the youthful Southern Aroostook girls, undoubtedly the youngest team ever to play in a tournament, react to the big-time atmosphere in Bangor?
5. How do the Machias boys compare to the strong Aroostook County threesome of Easton, Southern Aroostook, and Washburn?
6. Can anyone defeat the Lawrence girls or Hampden boys?
7. In a wide-open Northern B boys tournament, will size or quickness win out?
8. How many people when the gold balls are handed out be clamoring for a A vs. AA showdown?
9. (Fill in the team name) is in that class?
10. At the end of tourney 2016, will we be left wanting more?
My answer to the final question is a probable yes. The rest are a bit more unknown. Enjoy the 2016 tournament!